Wednesday 20 August 2014

Glyders in the mist!

The weather forecasters got it right – the remains of Hurricane Bertha arrived and the weather took a turn for the worse.  Although there was some blue in the sky to be seen, it didn’t last for long !

Creigiau Gleision and Craig Wen

Gallt yr Ogof looks impenetrable from the A5 but I during my Carneddau walk I planned a route up its western flank through the bands of small crags.  The midges were out in force as it was still quite warm but as I reached the ridge, the rain arrived.  The view disappeared as quickly as the waterproofs appeared and I started to make my way towards the summit as the mist came and went.  At least I wasn’t going to add to yesterday’s sunburn !

I passed the fore-summit and was soon at the top.  Views of Y Foel Goch were tantalisingly brief and I walked to the col, passing the wrong side of the tarn and ending up knee deep in bog, although I got out of it very quickly, minimising the soaking my right leg got.

Y Foel Goch is the higher summit but is not well defined, being quite a large plateau.  I bagged the cairn and the other two possible contenders for the summit before making my way down towards Llyn y Caseg-fraith.  I was hoping for the classic view of the east face of Tryfan but Bertha put paid to that.  I contoured around Drws Nodded to the Braich y Ddeugwm ridge, trying to stay out of the now gusting winds, and followed this down towards the valley.

Conditions eased as I neared the valley, giving a reasonable view of Tryfan.

Tryfan

Despite the conditions and walking solo again, I enjoyed this walk despite the weather; it had been a long time since I had been out in conditions like this and despite the damp, any day in the hills is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment