Saturday 16 January 2016

A 2015 Summary

At the start of 2015 I had 307 summits on my combined ticklist of TRAIL 100 summits, Nuttalls, WASHIS, Bridges and Buxton & Lewis summits.  2015 was the second year of my 10-year completion target and had aimed to tick 34 summits on my combined list which would include 26 Nuttalls and 6 TRAIL 100s.

For the second year in a row I fell short, but not by so much.

Overall I :
            went on             17                                walks
            walked              118.5                            miles
            ascended          34,304                          feet
            walked for         70 hrs 36 mins             (including rest stops !)
            reached             29                                individual summits that I hadn’t been to before
            reached             12                                individual summits that I had been to before
            reached             25                                summits on my combined ticklist
            reached             8                                  previously unclimbed TRAIL 100 summits
            reached             15                                previously unclimbed Nuttall summits
            drove                 4254                            miles on trips to and from walks

As the year progressed and the numbers of targeted summits decreased, a Nuttall was demoted following a survey and a WASHIS was added due to a list compilation oversight.  But I added a number of unclimbed Scottish 4000-foot  and Irish 3000-foot summits as well as some Lake District 2000-foot summits from a historic list known as the Simpsons.

So following a demotion, an addition, the ticking of 29 summits as well as the expansion of my target list, what started as 307 summits ended as a list of 349 !  Still quite a bit of walking needed !

Of the specific summits that I stated were 2015 targets, I did manage to tick the 3 Dartmoor summits and Worcestershire Beacon which was quite a challenge to do on a single day out from just north of Liverpool !  And again I didn’t manage to get near the 6 Cheviot Nuttalls and Pillar Rock.

Although 2015’s figures are quite a bit better than 2014’s, it didn’t feel that I’d got out very much and the high mileage was due to a couple of family holidays being taken advantage of to get a single hill day on both of them.  Highlights of the year were Suilven, Pen y Fan, Cross Fell and Merrick – all well-worth the travelling and except for Pen y Fan, devoid of crowds.

Now let’s see what 2016 brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment