Friday 17 February 2017

A 2016 Summary

At the start of 2016 I had 349 summits on my combined ticklist of TRAIL 100 summits, Nuttalls, WASHIS, Simpsons, Bridges and Buxton & Lewis summits.  2016 was the third year of my 10-year completion target and I had aimed to tick 44 summits on my combined list which would include 27 Nuttalls and 5 TRAIL 100s.

For the third successive year in a row I fell short, and by quite an amount !

Overall I :
            went on             11                                 walks
            walked              77.2                              miles
            ascended          26,309                          feet
            walked for         59 hrs 2 mins               (including rest stops !)
            reached            15                                 individual summits that I hadn’t been to before
            reached            10                                 individual summits that I had been to before
            reached            15                                 summits on my combined ticklist
            reached            2                                  previously unclimbed TRAIL 100 summits
            reached            15                                 previously unclimbed Nuttall summits
            drove                2080                             miles on trips to and from walks

2016 was a year that saw a few changes to the list of Nuttalls.  Calf Top was added following the Ordnance Survey adopting a new geoid model; Craig Gwaun Taf was added after a resurvey but I had previously bagged it as it is also a Bridge and Buxton & Lewis summit; Bram Rigg Top was demoted following a resurvey but I had bagged it not long before its demotion; both Long Fell and Tinside Rigg were added after resurveys, both of which were already on my ticklist because of their Buxton & Lewis status.

Another bonus tick was Glaramara North Top which I worked out that I had bagged following some close study of maps, summit descriptions and my walking log – ticks don’t get a lot easier than that !

So after my walks, promotions, a demotion and some careful research, my ongoing ticklist stands at 334 summits.  That’s a fair amount of walking still left to do !

Of the specific summits that I stated were 2016 I only managed Garbh Bheinn in Ardgour and all bar one of the Howgill Nuttalls.  Yet again, I didn’t get to the 6 Cheviot Nuttalls or Pillar Rock.

2016 was a poor year from a numerical point of view but I still had a couple of good days out.  A winter ascent of Garbh Bheinn was the highlight and a return to the Coniston fells made for a good spring outing.


Hopefully 2017 will prove a little more fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment